Just a quick update to let you know how the new Research Ideas and Outcomes (RIO) journal is going. You may remember I wrote a blog post here explaining my enthusiasm for this new journal. I’m delighted to say it is exceeding my expectations.
My choice of the word ‘outputs’ rather than ‘articles’ is very deliberate. RIO is a sophisticated platform that publishes more than just articles. Central to the ethos of the journal is that academia should publish entire research cycles, not just traditional research articles. So in our first 24 published outputs there is impressive diversity on show. Below is a breakdown of these published outputs by type:
- Mietchen D, Mounce R, Penev L (2015) Publishing the research process. Research Ideas and Outcomes 1: e7547. doi: 10.3897/rio.1.e7547
Ten Grant Proposals
- Martone M, Murray-Rust P, Molloy J, Arrow T, MacGillivray M, Kittel C, Kasberger S, Steel G, Oppenheim C, Ranganathan A, Tennant J, Udell J (2016) ContentMine/Hypothes.is Proposal. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8424.doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8424
- Susi T (2015) Heteroatom quantum corrals and nanoplasmonics in graphene (HeQuCoG). Research Ideas and Outcomes 1: e7479. doi: 10.3897/rio.1.e7479
- Simms S, Jones S, Ashley K, Ribeiro M, Chodacki J, Abrams S, Strong M (2016) Roadmap: A Research Data Management Advisory Platform. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8649. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8649
- Mietchen D, Hagedorn G, Willighagen E, Rico M, Gómez-Pérez A, Aibar E, Rafes K, Germain C, Dunning A, Pintscher L, Kinzler D (2015) Enabling Open Science: Wikidata for Research (Wiki4R). Research Ideas and Outcomes 1: e7573. doi: 10.3897/rio.1.e7573
- Wagner S (2015) Continuous and Focused Developer Feedback on Software Quality (CoFoDeF) . Research Ideas and Outcomes 1: e7576.doi: 10.3897/rio.1.e7576
- Hartgerink C, George S (2015) Problematic trial detection in ClinicalTrials.gov. Research Ideas and Outcomes 1: e7462. doi: 10.3897/rio.1.e7462
- Hammond C (2016) Widening the circle of care: An arts-based, participatory dialogue with stakeholders on cancer care for First Nations, Inuit,and Métis peoples in Ontario, Canada. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8615. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8615
- Tóth J (2016) Tools of Persuasion in Visual Advertisements at Maltese Sites of Cultural Tourism: A Social Science Analysis. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8726. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8726
- Wojnarski M, Hanken Kurtz D (2016) Paperity Central: An Open Catalog of All Scholarly Literature. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8462.doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8462
- Koureas D, Hardisty A, Vos R, Agosti D, Arvanitidis C, Bogatencov P, Buttigieg P, de Jong Y, Horvath F, Gkoutos G, Groom Q, Kliment T, Kõljalg U, Manakos I, Marcer A, Marhold K, Morse D, Mergen P, Penev L, Pettersson L, Svenning J, van de Putte A, Smith V (2016) Unifying European Biodiversity Informatics (BioUnify). Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e7787.doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e7787
One PhD Project Plan
- Senderov V, Penev L (2016) The Open Biodiversity Knowledge Management System in Scholarly Publishing. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e7757.doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e7757
Two Data Management Plans
- Fisher J, Nading A (2016) A Political Ecology of Value: A Cohort-Based Ethnography of the Environmental Turn in Nicaraguan Urban Social Policy. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8720. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8720
Pannell J (2016) Data Management Plan for PhD Thesis “Climatic Limitation of Alien Weeds in New Zealand: Enhancing Species Distribution Models with Field Data”. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8664. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8664
Four Research Ideas
- Gordon R (2016) Partial synchronization of the colonial diatom Bacillaria “paradoxa”. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e7869. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e7869
- Vyshedskiy A, Dunn R (2015) Mental synthesis involves the synchronization of independent neuronal ensembles. Research Ideas and Outcomes 1: e7642.doi: 10.3897/rio.1.e7642
- Zou Y (2015) Determining the direction of a gamma-ray burst’s jet in its host galaxy. Research Ideas and Outcomes 1: e7506. doi: 10.3897/rio.1.e7506
- Page R (2016) Towards a biodiversity knowledge graph. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8767. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8767
One Methods article
- Abdullah N (2016) Vertical-Horizontal Regulated Soilless Farming via Advanced Hydroponics for Domestic Food Production in Doha, Qatar. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8134. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8134
One Research article
- Chen R, Shen T, Tsai K, Hu C (2016) Pericardial window operation for malignant pericardial effusion may have worse outcomes for lung cancer than the other cancers. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8758.doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8758
Three Workshop Reports
- Wetzel F, Hoffmann A, Häuser C, Vohland K (2016) 1st EU BON Stakeholder Roundtable (Brussels, Belgium): Biodiversity and Requirements for Policy. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8600. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8600
- Vohland K, Häuser C, Regan E, Hoffmann A, Wetzel F (2016) 2nd EU BON Stakeholder Roundtable (Berlin, Germany): How can a European biodiversity network support citizen science? Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8616.doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8616
- Vohland K, Hoffmann A, Underwood E, Weatherdon L, Bonet F, Häuser C, Wetzel F (2016) 3rd EU BON Stakeholder Roundtable (Granada, Spain): Biodiversity data workflow from data mobilization to practice. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8622. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8622
One Project Report
- Egloff W, Agosti D, Patterson D, Hoffmann A, Mietchen D, Kishor P, Penev L (2016) Data Policy Recommendations for Biodiversity Data. EU BON Project Report. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8458. doi: 10.3897/rio.2.e8458
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Another feature of RIO is that all articles are labelled with their relevant Sustainable Development Goals. Interestingly, RIO has attracted 13 outputs which relate to SDG number 9: ‘Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure’. I take this as a great compliment to the journal – I infer from this that authors interested in true innovation and scholarly infrastructure are clearly attracted to this journal.
Openly Published Data Management Plans (DMPs)
— R⓪ss Mounce (@rmounce) April 7, 2016
I pushed hard to make sure Data Management Plans were included as their own distinct output type in RIO, so I’m really glad to see two exemplar DMPs being published, as well as the Roadmap research proposal which also relates to DMPs. A lot of US and UK researchers see funder-imposed DMPs as a bureaucratic checkbox exercise of little value to them. I hope that by being able to publish a DMP, researchers will see the point-of-it a little more – the documents will suddenly have value and meaning beyond the grant proposal process because other people can and will read them.
We have more DMPs in the pipeline too, so keep watching!
If you want to keep up to date with everything that gets published at RIO; follow the RSS feed, the journal Twitter feed, or the Facebook group. You can also read more blog posts about RIO at the official RIO Journal blog.